SIGNUPS FOR BASEBALL, SOFTBALL AND T-BALL
1. IN-PERSON SATURDAY, MARCH 29 9am – 12noon Squantum Community Center
Registration form is here - Sq Youth Sports Registration2014 – if you would like to print, pre-fill, and bring with you.
****NEW OPTION – REGISTER ONLINE*****
If you would like to register online please click below or paste into your browser:
Payment can be dropped off at Registration time listed above, or mailed/hand delivered to:
- SQUANTUM YOUTH SPORTS
- c/o Jim and Maura Mayo
- 151 ESSEX STREET
- QUINCY, MA 02171
****In order to ensure that your child receives a team shirt, registration AND payment must be received by April 18, 2014
The season starts on April 28th and ends with Field Day on Saturday, June 28 (currently the Saturday after QPS school ends)
SPREAD THE WORD!
Please help grow our league and forward this email to anyone who might want to participate in SQUANTUM YOUTH SPORTS!!!!!
Any questions – please contact email@example.com
There has been some recent publicity about social media issues that pose a potential risk to students that we wanted to call to the attention of all Quincy Public Schools parents. A popular app called Yik Yak is being used nationwide by high school, middle school and even some elementary students to post inappropriate and hateful posts. Yik Yak use is growing as it appears to students that their posts cannot be traced back to them. Students hide behind the perceived anonymity and post content involving nudity, profanity, and references to drug and alcohol abuse. Students have been using Yik Yak as a vehicle for cyberbullying and the material has been so cruel that some school districts have changed their phone policies. Users believe that there is no way to trace the source of messages but police have made arrests with the assistance of Yik Yak. As they have in other cities, Yik Yak is in the process of enabling a “geofence” around all Quincy Public Schools so that the app cannot be used within our buildings.
We would like to remind parents and students that once a post is made on any social media site, the poster loses all control of where that information is sent so their message or photo is never private. Parents can support their students in the following ways:
- Share with your student your expectations of appropriate social media and internet use.
- Check your students’ Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, Vine, Ask, Tumblr, Reddit, and other social media accounts and text messages.
- Remind your student of the consequences of inappropriate and threatening messages.
- Report inappropriate content to the social media provider. For Yik Yak, click on the comment button and select the report inappropriate button or e-mail a screen shot of offensive content to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The second issue is specific to Facebook. The MIAA is advising that a person using the name of “Manny Whelan” is contacting local student-athletes offering money to “compete in an underground wrestling club” held in local hotels. If you know someone who has been contacted or have any information regarding this issue, please contact your school principal for assistance in making a formal report.
Additional information to assist parents in assessing the appropriateness of social media sites can be found at:
Squantum School Parent Teacher Organization is pleased to announce we will be offering four scholarships this year to be awarded to graduating seniors who attended the Squantum School. The scholarships include:
- Two $250.00 Squantum School PTO scholarships available: one male and one female recipient.
- Two $100.00 Virginia Marie Whalen Memorial Scholarships, in memory of Virginia Whalen who worked as a lunch matron at the school for thirty years.
Application forms are available in the guidance offices at North Quincy High School and Quincy High School. Applicants can also pick up applications in the main office at Squantum School. Applications must be completed and returned to the Squantum School on or before Friday, April 17th, 2014. Scholarship winners will be chosen by lottery drawing under the direction of the Squantum School PTO.
The Quincy Parent Advisory Council to Special Education, Citywide Parents Council, and the Quincy Public Schools Invite you to:
Parent Academy Evening Understanding Your Child’s Assessment
- Kindergarten – Grade 5 Parents
- Tuesday, March 18th, 2014
- Central Middle School 7-8:30 p.m.
- Help parents make sense of testing terms and formats
- Provide an overview of common elementary assessments
- Make a clear connection between assessments and classroom instruction
- Share information and resources designed to support the home-school connection
The Quincy Parent Advisory Council, Citywide Parents Council and the Quincy Public Schools Invites you to our Parent Academy Evenings
- For Kindergarten – Grade 2 Parents: Tuesday, December 3, 2013 Central Middle School 6-8 p.m.
- For Grade 3 – Grade 5 Parents Tuesday, January 7, 2014 Central Middle School 6-8 p.m.
Presenters will offer Parents:
- A deeper understanding of the key components of an elementary literacy lesson
- Highlights of the NEW Journeys Reading Program
- An opportunity to learn about new web-based tools
- Information and resources designed to support the home-school connection
Invitation Parent Nite-1
Go Red Sox! It’s almost unbelieveable to be doing this after such a rough season last year…
And speaking of COMPETITION, we’ve got a serious competition warming up within the school. It’s all about the Box Tops.
Right now the standings look like this:Perennial champ Mrs Salas is ahead with 253 Box Tops, Mrs Curtin not far behind at 189, and Mrs Walsh a close third at 171. From there, it’s neck and neck all the way to the finish – Boss, Bloom, Griffith, Hourin, Corwin, Kelley, and Regan.
The World Series is exciting, sure, but it pales in comparison to the annual Squantum BoxTops for Education Classroom Contest - remember the winners get a slushie party!!
And remember the Meadow Farms Fundraiser catalogs are due the 28th!!
A lot of new updates on the site recently.
- Updated Events Page
- Updated About Us page
- Updated the Fundraising section which includes new sections – for the catalog, donations, volunteering, Hannaford, Stop & Shop Program, Box Tops, and more.
Please click through the site and let us know what you think
Here’s the 2013-2014 QPS Calendar !
You don’t get that many chances to get your name put directly on a structure that you can show your children in 5, 10, 25 or even 50 years.
You can do this by supporting our outdoor classroom project by buying a brick and become a permanent friend of Squantum Elementary School !
Details of the project and how you can help are in the this PDF document: outdoorextrajuly2013.
Thanks for your support!