Notes from Kellie Defelice, PTO Corresponding Secretary Meeting started at 7pm PTO Update and Overview (Brian) Overview and what help we are looking for: Raise money for school. Two people volunteered to be corresponding secretary: Amy Warren and Natalie McMenamin will split the role as the communications team. Brian H will provide guidance on who …View full post
Hi! We’re looking forward to seeing you tomorrow night for the Squantum School Open House and Book Fair. Here are the timeframes you need to know: – Attend the Book fair: 6 – 8pm – Meet with Teachers re Open House : 6:30 – 7:30 We will also have a table for passing in your …View full post
Permanent link to this article: http://www.squantumpto.com/ice-skating-lessons-quincy-arena/
Permanent link to this article: http://www.squantumpto.com/fall-parent-academy-evening-invite/
Notes from Kellie Defelice, PTO Corresponding Secretary
Meeting started at 7pm
PTO Update and Overview (Brian)
- Overview and what help we are looking for: Raise money for school.
- Two people volunteered to be corresponding secretary: Amy Warren and Natalie McMenamin will split the role as the communications team. Brian H will provide guidance on who does what.
- Looking for Citywide Reps: Dave Blaton and Jen Bergin volunteered. Others are welcome to attend any meeting as they are open to public.
- Mr. Sylvia will take care of childcare manager for upcoming PTO meetings.
- Looking for Picture Day Manager …Julie Hart volunteered.
- Looking for Bake Sale Manager, help plan, staff, flyers, etc. … Sarah Wood, two others offered to help. Trish Am and Moi. Kenda will help them get started to create the plan for Nov 4th.
- Community Events Coordinator… Amy Warren volunteered and will work with others including Dave Blaton (movie night)
- Corporate Donors/ Grant writer organizer: Liz Tolini to lead. Dave Blaton, Kellie Defelice and Jen Bergin will help Liz.
- Pennies for Patients: Sharon Pierce volunteered to help Deb Dyer. Colleen Downey has also volunteered to help.
- Raffle Item Finders: Looking for People to donate items for Halloween Dance and multicultural night in the spring
- Snacks and Drink Coordinator request was denied by the group
- Restaurant Night Planner: Eric and Chip Volunteered
Upcoming Fundraisers and Events
- Bricks: PTO in general is responsible
- School Store Ideas: Jessica Manning will lead
- Monster Mash: we are looking for volunteers/raffles/food/ extra stuff
- Square Art: Personalized Catalogues/ Students do art/ one free item and can order more with your child’s art on it.
Financial Report (Torrey)
- Went over Bay State Textiles and what it was (donate at back of school)
- Went over Target Credit Card and linking it to debit card (get 5% back to school)
- Brain Pop renewal/ new subscription includes use at home now (squantum/squantum09)
- Teacher Stipends = $100 apiece
- Field Trips/ Workshops and curriculum enhancement and Mrs. Kiley is the liaison for that.
- Vote/Discussion to see if everyone is on board with coffee for teachers, stipends and field trips. All voted for it. No against.
- Book Fair Money: Money left is $467. Can take $1765 book credit or $882.66 cash from Scholastic. All voted on taking book credit for classroom libraries and extra on library.
- Field Trip: Kindergarten would like Lifecycle of Raptors: Should not be a problem. Less than regular allocation that they usually get. Approved.
- Mr. Sylvia is requesting an In Focus Machine. One is having technical issues. Mrs. Salas needs one. $299 Technician says beyond repair. Andrea Coughlin will try to get it covered but in case it is not… All in Favor for one.
Principal Update (Mr. Sylvia)
- Need updated math and geometry supports. Wish List may come. Requesting to earmark funds for that. Not an easy subject to describe. Talking about $500-1,000. Approved up to $1000.
- Fun Friday fundraiserswas suggested. It is a possibility, need to investigate further.
- Talking about keeping money together/ separate, keep it together and decide what to use it for as a group.
- Big project every year… Long term fundraiser project … Mobile computer lab. Maybe an IPAD and dock that teachers sign out. Mobile Units.
- Someone asked if the kids could borrow books yet. Not yet because we are switching to a software, probably in a week or two. Julie Hart volunteered to help with it.
- Mrs. Hourin is working on a Donors Choose project . Looking for Ipads for the classroom. She is explaining what Donors Choose is and how it works. A few teachers are doing them. Way to get funding. Can share it on Facebook. Only can do two at a time. Goal is to share them in classrooms. If you can share it and make it public to get word out there, it would help. Also, all three teachers submitted a mini grant application to QPS. Each class was about $1100. So PTO will promote this and mention we are seeking older iPADs as well.
- Also seeking donations for any Technology Devices : Phones, Kindles, IPads, etc.
- Safety/Parking/ Crosswalk Reminder – don’t block driveways.
- MCAS Reports mailed today , should receive this week.
- School Improvement Plan started today.
- Outdoor Classroom is almost complete. Few glitches but is coming together. In good shape, almost fully funded. Still looking for bricks. Need to sell 25 more to engrave a new batch.
- Need contact cards returned for email systems (ASPEN). Should be getting emails directly from Mr. Sylivia (look for aspen), example on the virus.
- Topic of Fingerprinting: Can’t get mobile fingerprinting at the moment. Maybe November and December. Need at least 30 people to get them to come here. Best scenario is for people to go to the Hingham (Derby Street) location if they plan to volunteer.
- Request for speeding to be addressed/ dangerous. Mr. Sylvia is addressing the issue along with Kathy Hubley who was in attendance..
- Question about possibility of keyboarding for 5th graders. Parents are interested. Mr. Sylvia will look into it as well as possibly in school with librarian.
- Interest in Boks program/ huge popularity – yes we will do it again this year.
- Docent Art and Reading Counts Program: Went over what they are. Parent Volunteers are welcome and needed. All Parent run/ during school day.
- Reading Eggs especially Kindergarten needs Volunteers
Next PTO Meeting: Oct 28th 7pm
Permanent link to this article: http://www.squantumpto.com/pto-minutes-93014-squantum-elementary-school-pto-meeting/
We’re looking forward to seeing you tomorrow night for the Squantum School Open House and Book Fair.
Here are the timeframes you need to know:
– Attend the Book fair: 6 – 8pm
– Meet with Teachers re Open House : 6:30 – 7:30
We will also have a table for passing in your PTO donations (we suggest $25 this year), purchasing bricks for the outdoor classroom, and to sign up for our volunteer program.
See you tomorrow!!
Permanent link to this article: http://www.squantumpto.com/squantum-open-house-book-fair-information/
Permanent link to this article: http://www.squantumpto.com/new-outdoor-classroom-bricks/
The Seaside Gardeners Club of Squantum would like to announce our 56th Annual Plant Sale Celebrating Mother’s Day, to be held Saturday May 10th, 2014 from 9:30AM to 12:30PM at The Kennedy Center, 440 East Squantum Street in North Quincy. The sale will feature member grown perennials, as well as, annuals, herbs, and vegetables. Home baked goods, miscellaneous garden items, and raffles will also be available. All proceeds benefit garden club community activities such as Squantum School Junior Gardeners, Causeway Beautification Program, Annual Christmas Tree Lighting, Annual Scholarship Fund, Marsh Restoration, and the new Blue Star Memorial Program, which honors all men and women (past, present, and future) of the Armed Forces of America.
Permanent link to this article: http://www.squantumpto.com/seaside-gardeners-club-squantum-invites-56th-annual-plant-sale/
A nice letter from the Mayor regarding his appearance and presentation at the most recent PTO Meeting. Click here to read the Squantum PTO Thank You Letter (PDF file)
Permanent link to this article: http://www.squantumpto.com/thank-letter-mayor-koch/
SIGNUPS FOR BASEBALL, SOFTBALL AND T-BALL
1. IN-PERSON SATURDAY, MARCH 29 9am – 12noon Squantum Community Center
Registration form is here – Sq Youth Sports Registration2014 – if you would like to print, pre-fill, and bring with you.
****NEW OPTION – REGISTER ONLINE*****
If you would like to register online please click below or paste into your browser:
Payment can be dropped off at Registration time listed above, or mailed/hand delivered to:
- SQUANTUM YOUTH SPORTS
- c/o Jim and Maura Mayo
- 151 ESSEX STREET
- QUINCY, MA 02171
****In order to ensure that your child receives a team shirt, registration AND payment must be received by April 18, 2014
The season starts on April 28th and ends with Field Day on Saturday, June 28 (currently the Saturday after QPS school ends)
SPREAD THE WORD!
Please help grow our league and forward this email to anyone who might want to participate in SQUANTUM YOUTH SPORTS!!!!!
Any questions – please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Permanent link to this article: http://www.squantumpto.com/squantum-youth-sports-signups-person-now-online/
There has been some recent publicity about social media issues that pose a potential risk to students that we wanted to call to the attention of all Quincy Public Schools parents. A popular app called Yik Yak is being used nationwide by high school, middle school and even some elementary students to post inappropriate and hateful posts. Yik Yak use is growing as it appears to students that their posts cannot be traced back to them. Students hide behind the perceived anonymity and post content involving nudity, profanity, and references to drug and alcohol abuse. Students have been using Yik Yak as a vehicle for cyberbullying and the material has been so cruel that some school districts have changed their phone policies. Users believe that there is no way to trace the source of messages but police have made arrests with the assistance of Yik Yak. As they have in other cities, Yik Yak is in the process of enabling a “geofence” around all Quincy Public Schools so that the app cannot be used within our buildings.
We would like to remind parents and students that once a post is made on any social media site, the poster loses all control of where that information is sent so their message or photo is never private. Parents can support their students in the following ways:
- Share with your student your expectations of appropriate social media and internet use.
- Check your students’ Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, Vine, Ask, Tumblr, Reddit, and other social media accounts and text messages.
- Remind your student of the consequences of inappropriate and threatening messages.
- Report inappropriate content to the social media provider. For Yik Yak, click on the comment button and select the report inappropriate button or e-mail a screen shot of offensive content to email@example.com.
The second issue is specific to Facebook. The MIAA is advising that a person using the name of “Manny Whelan” is contacting local student-athletes offering money to “compete in an underground wrestling club” held in local hotels. If you know someone who has been contacted or have any information regarding this issue, please contact your school principal for assistance in making a formal report.
Additional information to assist parents in assessing the appropriateness of social media sites can be found at:
Permanent link to this article: http://www.squantumpto.com/social-media-advisory-parents/
Squantum School Parent Teacher Organization is pleased to announce we will be offering four scholarships this year to be awarded to graduating seniors who attended the Squantum School. The scholarships include:
- Two $250.00 Squantum School PTO scholarships available: one male and one female recipient.
- Two $100.00 Virginia Marie Whalen Memorial Scholarships, in memory of Virginia Whalen who worked as a lunch matron at the school for thirty years.
Application forms are available in the guidance offices at North Quincy High School and Quincy High School. Applicants can also pick up applications in the main office at Squantum School. Applications must be completed and returned to the Squantum School on or before Friday, April 17th, 2014. Scholarship winners will be chosen by lottery drawing under the direction of the Squantum School PTO.
Permanent link to this article: http://www.squantumpto.com/squantum-school-scholarships/